Kumbh Mela: PMO warns firms not to pollute rivers
New Delhi: Ahead of the Maha Kumbh Mela in Allahabad, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has given directions to control pollution levels in Ganga and Yamuna rivers and warned of action against industries dirtying the water bodies.
A PMO statement said today that the Prime Minister has been monitoring availability of adequate water from Tehri Dam in river Ganga at Allahabad during the Kumbh Mela and directions have been given to control the pollution load flowing in river Yamuna during the Kumbh Mela period.
"At Sangam, Allahabad, the BOD (Bio-chemical Oxygen Demand) of Yamuna and Ganga is generally less than 6 mg/ltr but the main issue is of the colour of effluents discharged by the pulp and paper industries into the river Ram Ganga and Kali (both tributaries of Ganga)," it said.
Spelling out steps taken to ensure free flow of clean water in the rivers, the PMO said Uttar Pradesh and Uttrakhand State Pollution Control Boards have been directed to ensure that all paper units discharging their effluents into river Ganga or its tributaries comply with prescribed norms.
"Monitoring of water quality in river Ram Ganga and river Kali and their tributaries is being initiated on a daily basis by the state boards of Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh with the coordination of CPCB," it said.
"Action will be taken against industries for violating the norms," the PMO said, adding Central Pollution Control Board has issued show cause notices for closure of 23 tannery units in Unnao and Banther and "based on the response received/action taken further course of action will be decided."
It said that THDCIL (Tehri Hydro Development Corporation) has agreed to release 250 cumecs water from December 21, 2012 to February 20, 2013 and 220 cumecs water from February 21 to February 28 in view of demand of water for `Kumbh Snans`.
The PMO said it has also given instruction to the Delhi Jal Board to ensure that the performance of the 72 MGD (million gallons per day) STP (sewage treatment plant) at Keshavpur commissioned recently is stabilized so that it functions optimally and the effluent meets the norms.
"The Delhi Government has been asked to ensure that the performance of the STPs and CETPs (Common Effluent Treatment Plants) is optimized to meet the effluent quality norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced