Lance Naik Hemraj’s family calls off hunger strike
Mathura: Martyred jawan Hemraj`s family members and residents of his Khairair village on Saturday called off their fast after their demands were met by the Uttar Pradesh government.
"Since not only all demands have been accepted but work on some has also started, we have called off indefinite fast" Village Pradhan Dharmveer said today.
"The demands, virtually had been fulfilled by caretaker Minister Durga Prasad during his visit to village recently. The administration has started work now", SDM Anil Mishra said.
Earlier the administration had to pass through anxious moments when the news of indefinite fast by the Hemraj`s family members as well as the villagers spread like wild fire.
Since neither Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav nor any representative of Union govt or any local Samajvadi party leader was present at his cremation on Jan 9, the irate villagers decided to go on indefinite fast, Pradhan stated.
"Villagers along with the family members including the widow Dharmvati (w/o late Hemraj) sat for Dharna at 9.00 am, however it was lifted at 3.00 pm, when we received telephonic call from the Chief Minister`s Secretariat," Pradhan said.
"The demand of opening a Govt Inter or Degree college in the Hemraj`s memory, inclusion of Village in Lohiya Samagra Vikas Yojna, grant of Rs 20 lakh to bereaved family have been accepted, and the beautification of Hemraj Park and construction of approach road in Hemraj`s memory has since started, therefore we have terminated the indefinite fast", Village Pradhan added.
"We are also satisfied with the submission of Chief Minister`s secretariat that it will persuade Union govt to allot either gas agency or petrol pump to Hemraj`s widow", the Pradhan added.
29-year-old Hemraj hailed from Khairair village in Mathura district in Uttar Pradesh.
On January 8, Pakistan Army regulars had infiltrated inside Indian territory in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir and killed and mutilated bodies of Lance Naiks Sudhakar Singh and Hemraj there. The jawans belonged to 13 Rajputana Rifles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!