Lance Naik Hemraj’s family calls off hunger strike
Mathura: Martyred jawan Hemraj`s family members and residents of his Khairair village on Saturday called off their fast after their demands were met by the Uttar Pradesh government.
"Since not only all demands have been accepted but work on some has also started, we have called off indefinite fast" Village Pradhan Dharmveer said today.
"The demands, virtually had been fulfilled by caretaker Minister Durga Prasad during his visit to village recently. The administration has started work now", SDM Anil Mishra said.
Earlier the administration had to pass through anxious moments when the news of indefinite fast by the Hemraj`s family members as well as the villagers spread like wild fire.
Since neither Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav nor any representative of Union govt or any local Samajvadi party leader was present at his cremation on Jan 9, the irate villagers decided to go on indefinite fast, Pradhan stated.
"Villagers along with the family members including the widow Dharmvati (w/o late Hemraj) sat for Dharna at 9.00 am, however it was lifted at 3.00 pm, when we received telephonic call from the Chief Minister`s Secretariat," Pradhan said.
"The demand of opening a Govt Inter or Degree college in the Hemraj`s memory, inclusion of Village in Lohiya Samagra Vikas Yojna, grant of Rs 20 lakh to bereaved family have been accepted, and the beautification of Hemraj Park and construction of approach road in Hemraj`s memory has since started, therefore we have terminated the indefinite fast", Village Pradhan added.
"We are also satisfied with the submission of Chief Minister`s secretariat that it will persuade Union govt to allot either gas agency or petrol pump to Hemraj`s widow", the Pradhan added.
29-year-old Hemraj hailed from Khairair village in Mathura district in Uttar Pradesh.
On January 8, Pakistan Army regulars had infiltrated inside Indian territory in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir and killed and mutilated bodies of Lance Naiks Sudhakar Singh and Hemraj there. The jawans belonged to 13 Rajputana Rifles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown