Lankan court extends remand period of TN fishermen
Rameswaram (TN): A Sri Lankan court on Monday
extended by 14 days the remand period of five fishermen from
Tamil Nadu, arrested on drug smuggling charges on November 28,
an official said.
U Arulanandam, state coordinator of `Alliance for the
release of innocent fishermen`, told reporters from Sri Lanka,
here on an invitation by the state government, that Mallagam
court Judge Gajanidhi Balan extended to January 30 the remand
of the fishermen when they were produced in court today.
The five were arrested by Sri Lankan navy on Nov 28 2011
on drug smuggling charges and lodged in a prison in Jaffna.
On December 5 last, the court extended their remand to Dec
19 and later again to January 2 this year.
Later, the remand period was extended to January 16.
Mechanised boat fishermen had begun an indefinite strike on
Jan 6, demanding immediate release of 13 fishermen, including
these five, arrested by Sri Lankan navy since Nov 28 and had
urged the Centre to take steps to get them released.
They had also urged both Sri Lanka and India not to arrest
fishermen if they cross International Maritime Boundary Line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch