Lankan court extends remand period of TN fishermen
Rameswaram (TN): A Sri Lankan court on Monday
extended by 14 days the remand period of five fishermen from
Tamil Nadu, arrested on drug smuggling charges on November 28,
an official said.
U Arulanandam, state coordinator of `Alliance for the
release of innocent fishermen`, told reporters from Sri Lanka,
here on an invitation by the state government, that Mallagam
court Judge Gajanidhi Balan extended to January 30 the remand
of the fishermen when they were produced in court today.
The five were arrested by Sri Lankan navy on Nov 28 2011
on drug smuggling charges and lodged in a prison in Jaffna.
On December 5 last, the court extended their remand to Dec
19 and later again to January 2 this year.
Later, the remand period was extended to January 16.
Mechanised boat fishermen had begun an indefinite strike on
Jan 6, demanding immediate release of 13 fishermen, including
these five, arrested by Sri Lankan navy since Nov 28 and had
urged the Centre to take steps to get them released.
They had also urged both Sri Lanka and India not to arrest
fishermen if they cross International Maritime Boundary Line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill