Lessons to be learnt from Delhi rape: Singapore minister
Singapore: There are lessons to be learnt from the death of the Indian woman who was savagely gang-raped and tortured in a Delhi bus, a media report quoted a minister as saying.
Women are still treated as `inferior beings` in many societies, wrote Minister of State for Social and Family Development Halimah Yacob on her Facebook page Saturday, a day when the woman died in a Singapore hospital after battling for life for 13 days.
She gave the example of a Malaysian friend, the head of gender equality in a trade union organisation, who told off male trade unionists who made sexist jokes against women, reported Straits Times.
It was all about respect, she said.
"People may think that this is just a small matter...over time, all the small things add up."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement