Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar to take salute from BSF troops
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar will take ceremonial salute from the troops of country`s second largest paramilitary force BSF at a guard of honour function on its Raising Day here later this week.
Kumar will be the chief guest of the Border Security Force (BSF) celebrations on the occasion of its 48th Raising Day on December 1.
The force was raised in 1965 as a border guarding unit and at present is deployed to guard Indian frontiers with Pakistan and Bangladesh.
It also renders a variety of roles in the internal security domain including conducting anti-Naxal operations.
The celebrations during the Raising Day would include a march past by the troopers and a show of their skills and weapons including award of police medals by Kumar at the BSF camp in south Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway