‘Lokpal Bill to be introduced in current session’
Chennai: With pressure mounting on the
Centre for enacting a strong anti-graft legislation, Home
Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday said the Lokpal Bill will
"certainly" be introduced in the Winter Session of Parliament.
"Lokpal Bill will certainly be introduced in the ongoing
Parliament session", Chidambaram said at a function to
celebrate Congress president Sonia Gandhi`s 66th birthday.
Team Anna has stepped up pressure on the UPA government for
passing the bill in the current session and threatened to
intensify protests, including an indefinite fast by Anna
Hazare, if it was not done.
Besides Lokpal Bill, Chidambaram said a host of other
bills, including the Food Security Bill, would be introduced
in the session.
"I hope the draft Food Security Bill will be cleared in the
Cabinet on Monday," he said.
Claiming that the UPA government has implemented
progressive schemes and legislations, he said all these
measures were borne out of the UPA chairperson`s vision. "The
progressive steps taken by her need to be celebrated", he
Before implementing a progressive scheme, she discusses
the pros and cons of the measures and once decided, there is
"no going back" (by her), Chidambaram said.
Earlier, he recalled the UPA government`s significant
initiatives like Right to Information Act and Right to
Education Act among many others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!