LS Speaker condemns rape, says society must change
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday said only an attitudinal change in people and society can check "inhuman" crimes like the brutal rape of a five-year-old girl in the capital.
"Even before the emotional turmoil of the Dec 16, 2012 incident in which a young girl was gang-raped in a moving bus in New Delhi had subsided, we are witness to another horrific incident of rape of a five-year-old child by senseless persons in Delhi," she said in the house in the morning.
The speaker said: "Though parliament has recently passed a tougher legislation to prevent rape, the evil has not abated. Such incidents are still on the rise throughout the country".
"Law alone cannot, however, prevent such incidents. A change in attitude of people and society only will check such inhuman crimes against children and women. I am sure the house would join me in condemning this barbaric incident and praying to god for the speedy recovery of the child."
Before making these remarks, as soon as the house assembled in the morning, Kumar paid tributes to former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher, who passed away April 8.
She also led the house in paying tributes to the victims of a building collapse in Thane, Mumbai, which left 74 dead. She made a mention also of the terrorist strike in Boston in the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!