Lt Gen NC Marwah relinquishes command of ANC
Port Blair: Commander in Chief Lt Gen NC Marwah has relinquished the command of Andaman and Nicobar command.
He was given a ceremonial tri-services guard of honour at Naval Jetty in Port Blair yesterday.
Later interacting with media persons, Lt Gen Marwah said the Unified Command was sensitive to environmental issues and local sentiments while undertaking any security development in the region.
He said the command will identify an alternate place for the radar installation project planned earlier in Narcondum island owing to environmental concerns.
He added that the project was vital to strengthen the security cover all along the region.
Marwah said during his tenure of two years, the command witnessed successful anti poaching operations, largest ever conglomeration of littoral navies in the biennial mega event `Milan`, besides achieving high level of preparedness to deal with humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations.
He said the commissioning of naval air station INS Baaz at Campbell Bay in the southern most tip of the country a few months back was a major step to enhance defence capabilities in the region.
Referring to the expansion activities, he said a new
coast guard station was commissioned in Little Andaman two years back and another station has been set up in Mayabandar this year to beef up security all along our coast line.
Besides, the runway at Campbell Bay will be expanded to enable the command carry out effective air borne operations.
Marwah also gave an impetus to public out reach and social welfare programmes.
During Marwah`s tenure, INHS Dhanwanthri had conducted medical camps for people living different remote islands, including tribals and also held interactions with fishermen there.
On relinquishing the Command, he will take over the prestigious position of Chief of Integrated Staff in the defence headquarters in New Delhi, an official release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India