Lt Gen NC Marwah relinquishes command of ANC
Port Blair: Commander in Chief Lt Gen NC Marwah has relinquished the command of Andaman and Nicobar command.
He was given a ceremonial tri-services guard of honour at Naval Jetty in Port Blair yesterday.
Later interacting with media persons, Lt Gen Marwah said the Unified Command was sensitive to environmental issues and local sentiments while undertaking any security development in the region.
He said the command will identify an alternate place for the radar installation project planned earlier in Narcondum island owing to environmental concerns.
He added that the project was vital to strengthen the security cover all along the region.
Marwah said during his tenure of two years, the command witnessed successful anti poaching operations, largest ever conglomeration of littoral navies in the biennial mega event `Milan`, besides achieving high level of preparedness to deal with humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations.
He said the commissioning of naval air station INS Baaz at Campbell Bay in the southern most tip of the country a few months back was a major step to enhance defence capabilities in the region.
Referring to the expansion activities, he said a new
coast guard station was commissioned in Little Andaman two years back and another station has been set up in Mayabandar this year to beef up security all along our coast line.
Besides, the runway at Campbell Bay will be expanded to enable the command carry out effective air borne operations.
Marwah also gave an impetus to public out reach and social welfare programmes.
During Marwah`s tenure, INHS Dhanwanthri had conducted medical camps for people living different remote islands, including tribals and also held interactions with fishermen there.
On relinquishing the Command, he will take over the prestigious position of Chief of Integrated Staff in the defence headquarters in New Delhi, an official release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- BCCI for transparency in awarding IPL media rights
- Cow vigilantism? Two Dalits thrashed in Gujarat for refusing to clear carcass of calf
- 'Arvind Kejriwal fooling people of Goa by making tall promises'
- Kashmir like volcano about to erupt, says AK Antony
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar clarifies on Nehru, Patel gaffe - Here's what he said