Lt Gen NC Marwah relinquishes command of ANC
Port Blair: Commander in Chief Lt Gen NC Marwah has relinquished the command of Andaman and Nicobar command.
He was given a ceremonial tri-services guard of honour at Naval Jetty in Port Blair yesterday.
Later interacting with media persons, Lt Gen Marwah said the Unified Command was sensitive to environmental issues and local sentiments while undertaking any security development in the region.
He said the command will identify an alternate place for the radar installation project planned earlier in Narcondum island owing to environmental concerns.
He added that the project was vital to strengthen the security cover all along the region.
Marwah said during his tenure of two years, the command witnessed successful anti poaching operations, largest ever conglomeration of littoral navies in the biennial mega event `Milan`, besides achieving high level of preparedness to deal with humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations.
He said the commissioning of naval air station INS Baaz at Campbell Bay in the southern most tip of the country a few months back was a major step to enhance defence capabilities in the region.
Referring to the expansion activities, he said a new
coast guard station was commissioned in Little Andaman two years back and another station has been set up in Mayabandar this year to beef up security all along our coast line.
Besides, the runway at Campbell Bay will be expanded to enable the command carry out effective air borne operations.
Marwah also gave an impetus to public out reach and social welfare programmes.
During Marwah`s tenure, INHS Dhanwanthri had conducted medical camps for people living different remote islands, including tribals and also held interactions with fishermen there.
On relinquishing the Command, he will take over the prestigious position of Chief of Integrated Staff in the defence headquarters in New Delhi, an official release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3