Lt Gen Surendranath new Chief of Staff, Southern Command
Chennai: Lt Gen K Surendranath took over as Chief of Staff of Southern Army Command on Monday.
He was commissioned into 71 Armoured Regiment in 1975 and later went on to Command the same Regiment, a Defence Ministry release said here.
Lt Gen Surendranath has held number of challenging Command appointments in Western, Northern and Eastern theatres that include command of an Independent Armoured Brigade, an Infantry Division in Counter Insurgency environment and a Corps deployed along the International Border opposite Tibet Administrative Region.
He has also been awarded Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, Bar to Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, Sena Medal and Vishisht Seva Medal for his meritorious service.
The officer has headed the operations branch of Southern Command in 2010-11, where he oversaw the operationalisation of Exercise Sudarshan Shakti, aimed at starting the transformation of the forces into a modern, lean, and agile fighting combination capable of leveraging new-age technologies.
Lt Gen Surendranath is an alumnus of Bishop Cotton School, Bangalore, the National Defence Academy, Khadakvasala and a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington.
A post graduate in Global Security from Cranfield University, UK, he is an acknowledged expert in strategic affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj