LTC Scam: CBI books Rajya Sabha MPs for cheating and forgery
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has booked three sitting and three former Rajya Sabha MPs for cheating and forgery in Leave Ticket Concession (LTC) scam – they availed full fare reimbursements using fake tickets.
The central probe agency filed FIRs, Friday, against sitting MPs D Bandopadhyay (TMC), Brijesh Pathak (BSP) and Lalhming Liana (MPF) and former MPs JPN Singh (BJP), Renu Bala (BJD) and Mehmood Arshad Madani (RLD). This is the first case registered by the CBI in the scam.
Searches are being conducted at 10 locations, which include the houses, office premises of the MPs and also at the offices of travel agencies in Delhi and Odisha.
The agency has registered a case of cheating and forgery among other charges under Indian Penal Code (IPC) and relevant provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The MPs are alleged to have purchased return air e-tickets in connivance with tour operators. They allegedly used online service to get boarding passes using web check-in facility and just before boarding time, these boarding passes and tickets were allegedly cancelled to pocket the refund money.
Later the e-tickets and boarding passes, which were earlier issued, were allegedly submitted to the Rajya Sabha secretariat to claim the travel expenses by the MP.
The incident came to light after the vigilance department of Air India (AI) was alerted about the arrest of a man in March at the Kolkata airport with 600 blank boarding passes of the airline in his possession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS