Make Yatra programme a 60-day pilgrimage: VHP
Jammu: The Vishwa Hindu Parishad has asked the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board to reschedule its Yatra programme for this year to make it a 60-day pilgrimage instead of the scheduled 55 days.
"We appeal to SASB to review Yatra schedule for 2013 ensuring a minimum 60 days of pilgrimage," State VHP president Ramakant Dubey said.
He suggested the board to begin the Yatra on the occasion of Jyeshtha Purnima to make it a 60-day pilgrimage.
As per the schedule announced by the board yesterday, the 55-day Yatra will commence on June 28 and conclude on Raksha Bandhan on August 21.
Expressing concern over several deaths during the Yatra last year, Dubey asked the authorities to make all necessary arrangements for the pilgrimage well in advance.
He further asked the board to perform the Jyeshtha Purnima rituals in the cave shrine itself.
Meanwhile, a group of hoteliers in Jammu and Kashmir have asked the government to take steps for keeping unregistered pilgrims out of the Yatra programme.
This will help the board in keeping the influx of devotees under check, said Inderjeet Khajuria, President of All Jammu Hotels and Lodges Association (AJHLA).
The association also sought efforts for preservation of the Shiv Lingam made of snow in its maximum form throughout the pilgrimage period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India