Mandela, an icon of inspiration for humanity: Prez Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday expressed profound grief over the death of global anti- apartheid hero, Nelson Mandela saying, he was an "icon of inspiration for humanity" and a "great friend of India".
In his condolence message, he has conveyed his profound grief and condolences over the loss of a statesman, world leader and icon of inspiration for humanity.
In the message, the President has said, "President Mandela was a statesman, world leader and icon of inspiration of humanity. He was a great friend of India and his contribution for strengthening the close ties between our two countries will be always remembered".
He was awarded the Bharat Ratna in honour of his contribution to the friendship between our two countries, he said.
"I convey heartfelt condolences on behalf of the people and the Government of India as well as my personal behalf to the family members of Late President Mandela and the people and the Government of South Africa," the statement said.
Mandela, South Africa`s first elected black president was widely respected for his role in fighting racism in the country, and for forgiving his former white captors after his release from prison.
Aged 95, he died early this morning in Johannesburg, throwing South Africa in a state of mourning with tributes pouring in from all corners of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why