Manmohan on way out; Rahul or Dalit as next PM?
New Delhi: A United Kingdom based consultancy focused on emerging economies recently predicted that Rahul Gandhi or a Dalit will soon take over as prime minister of India.
Nothing unusual about that except it was a signed piece by analyst Amitabh Dubey, who is the son of close Gandhi family friend Suman. Adding more weight to the report is Amitabh Dubey’s close friendship with Rahul Gandhi.
The report has three main aspects:
1. The assertion that Rahul Gandhi or a Dalit will soon replace Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh.
2. There is a lot of economic uncertainty in India as crucial decisions are not being taken.
3. Even Indian investors are now talking of country hedging.
The report appears to be a pointer to the expected elevation of Rahul Gandhi as working president of the Congress, an eventuality which has been one of the worst guarded secrets in the upper echelons of the party in recent times.
Sources say that the elevation of Rahul could be a radical bid to rejuvenate the government and the party cadre.
Rahul is already stepping up to the plate - he is now part of most crucial meetings convened by Sonia Gandhi. Importantly, he also has a say in ticket distribution for the Assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh, due to be held early next year.
Meanwhile, in an interesting parallel development a sulking Varun Gandhi - upset at being given no responsibility and position in the BJP - has said that he will not campaign for the party in the forthcoming UP elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'