Manmohan Singh files RS nomination from Assam
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh filed his nomination for a fifth consecutive term in the Rajya Sabha here on Wednesday.
Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh, who is in charge of Assam, accompanied the Prime Minister, whose fourth term in the upper house ends next month.
Manmohan Singh arrived at the Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in the morning and headed straight for the State Assembly to file his papers.
There was some trouble with student bodies and political parties hoisting black flags and staging demonstrations for what they said were his failure to bring development to Assam and fulfil his commitments.
Media personnel also staged a protest and shouted slogans outside the Assembly premises after they were barred from covering the programme.
The Prime Minister, however, later came towards the journalists and thanked the people of Assam for continuously electing him to the Rajya Sabha for all these years.
He assured that his effort would be to do all he could for the state`s development. He then left for the airport.
The current term of the two Rajya Sabha members representing Assam -- Manmohan Singh and Asom Gana Parishad`s (AGP) Kumar Deepak Das -- ends on June 14.
Manmohan Singh has been representing Assam in the upper house since 1991 after he became the union finance minister. Then Assam chief minister Hiteswar Saikia had offered him a Rajya Sabha seat that had fallen vacant.
He is expected to win comfortably this time too as the Congress and its allies occupy 94 berths in the 126-member Assembly.
According to official sources, May 20 is the last date to file nominations. The scrutiny of nominations will be held the next day. Polls, if necessary, will be held on May 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof