Manmohan Singh files RS nomination from Assam
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh filed his nomination for a fifth consecutive term in the Rajya Sabha here on Wednesday.
Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh, who is in charge of Assam, accompanied the Prime Minister, whose fourth term in the upper house ends next month.
Manmohan Singh arrived at the Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in the morning and headed straight for the State Assembly to file his papers.
There was some trouble with student bodies and political parties hoisting black flags and staging demonstrations for what they said were his failure to bring development to Assam and fulfil his commitments.
Media personnel also staged a protest and shouted slogans outside the Assembly premises after they were barred from covering the programme.
The Prime Minister, however, later came towards the journalists and thanked the people of Assam for continuously electing him to the Rajya Sabha for all these years.
He assured that his effort would be to do all he could for the state`s development. He then left for the airport.
The current term of the two Rajya Sabha members representing Assam -- Manmohan Singh and Asom Gana Parishad`s (AGP) Kumar Deepak Das -- ends on June 14.
Manmohan Singh has been representing Assam in the upper house since 1991 after he became the union finance minister. Then Assam chief minister Hiteswar Saikia had offered him a Rajya Sabha seat that had fallen vacant.
He is expected to win comfortably this time too as the Congress and its allies occupy 94 berths in the 126-member Assembly.
According to official sources, May 20 is the last date to file nominations. The scrutiny of nominations will be held the next day. Polls, if necessary, will be held on May 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof