Marines issue: EU wants India to ‘respect’ Vienna Convention
New Delhi: Taking a cautious approach, the European Union on Monday said that both India and Italy would have to come to a mutual agreement and resolve the crisis concerning the return of Italian marines to India to face trial for homicide.
Speaking to a English news channel, EU spokesman Michael Mann said EU had taken cognizance of the Supreme Court ruling and was observing the situation.
Importantly, Mann said that India will have to respect the Vienna convention and the diplomatic immunity granted to Italian envoy Daniele Mancini.
“It is imperative that India respects the Vienna convention”, he said.
The EU’s assertion of the importance of the Vienna convention came just hours after the Supreme Court said that Italian ambassador Daniele Mancini will not leave India till further orders.
The action follows Rome`s refusal to send back the two Italian marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone to face trial for killing two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Valentine, off the Kerala coast Feb 15, 2012, mistaking them for pirates.
The court will hear the case next April 2. India and Italy are locked in a huge diplomatic row over the issue.
The court while extending its earlier order restraining Mancini from leaving the country said the Italian envoy has lost its trust and does not have diplomatic immunity.
The apex court bench said: "Some people are writing that we are naive. We don`t expect the republic of Italy to behave like this. What do they think about our courts and judicial system? We don`t accept any assurance from you that you don`t intend to leave (India). You have lost our trust."
Italy claims the shooting incident occurred in international waters and wants to get Latorre and Girone tried in its courts.
India says the trial should occur here, and set up a special court in the national capital to try the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees