Mary Kom asks women to learn martial arts
Darjeeling: Women should take up martial arts to defend themselves from incidents such as the Delhi gangrape, Olympic bronze medalist boxer M C Mary Kom has said and given the example of a rickshaw whom she taught a lesson for making lewd remarks at her.
"Martial arts should not be taken up only as a sport. I urge all women to take up martial arts so that they can defend themselves to some extent," Mary said.
"If I can box why can`t you all? I urge women of this region to take up the sport," she said.
Mary said "I had beaten up a rickshawala sometime ago. When he started using filthy language, I lost my cool," she, said, but did not specify when and where the incident took place.
Mary was speaking at the Darjeeling Tea and Tourism Festival here on Thursday.
Mary’s husband K Kom, who was present, said "It doesn?t feel nice to see my wife getting beaten up. But after so many years of boxing, we are getting used to the fact that she is involved in a sport."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you