Mary Kom asks women to learn martial arts
Darjeeling: Women should take up martial arts to defend themselves from incidents such as the Delhi gangrape, Olympic bronze medalist boxer M C Mary Kom has said and given the example of a rickshaw whom she taught a lesson for making lewd remarks at her.
"Martial arts should not be taken up only as a sport. I urge all women to take up martial arts so that they can defend themselves to some extent," Mary said.
"If I can box why can`t you all? I urge women of this region to take up the sport," she said.
Mary said "I had beaten up a rickshawala sometime ago. When he started using filthy language, I lost my cool," she, said, but did not specify when and where the incident took place.
Mary was speaking at the Darjeeling Tea and Tourism Festival here on Thursday.
Mary’s husband K Kom, who was present, said "It doesn?t feel nice to see my wife getting beaten up. But after so many years of boxing, we are getting used to the fact that she is involved in a sport."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened