Meira Kumar amazed at Pakistanis` love for Indians
Islamabad: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, who led a 17-member Indian Parliamentary delegation to Pakistan, said she was "pleasantly shocked" to see the love of Pakistanis for Indians, and prayed for cordial relations between the two countries.
The delegation visited Lahore and Islamabad, the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) reported.
Meira Kumar Friday visited the Minar-e-Pakistan in Lahore accompanied by members of the Punjab Provincial Assembly, and wrote a message of good wishes in the visitors` book.
Expressing progress and well-being for Pakistan and its people, the Lok Sabha Speaker said it was a historical occasion for her as she was the first Indian Parliament Speaker to visit Pakistan, the Dawn News reported.
She said Indians wanted "friendly relations" with the Pakistani people.
The Indian delegation comprised members of various political parties and "all of us have come here with the message of peace and love," the Lok Sabha Speaker said.
The delegation visited the Punjab Provincial Assembly in Lahore and witnessed for some time its proceedings. Meira Kumar also held a meeting with Assembly Speaker Rana Muhammad Iqbal, who later hosted a luncheon in the honour of the visiting team.
She later visited the Data Darbar Sufi shrine as well as the memorial to Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
Fehmida Mirza, Speaker of the National Assembly -- the Lower House of the Pakistani Parliament -- termed the visit of Meira Kumar "fruitful".
Mirza said that through Parliamentary diplomacy, both countries have to target issues like health, education and poverty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui