Meira Kumar amazed at Pakistanis` love for Indians
Islamabad: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, who led a 17-member Indian Parliamentary delegation to Pakistan, said she was "pleasantly shocked" to see the love of Pakistanis for Indians, and prayed for cordial relations between the two countries.
The delegation visited Lahore and Islamabad, the Associated Press of Pakistan (APP) reported.
Meira Kumar Friday visited the Minar-e-Pakistan in Lahore accompanied by members of the Punjab Provincial Assembly, and wrote a message of good wishes in the visitors` book.
Expressing progress and well-being for Pakistan and its people, the Lok Sabha Speaker said it was a historical occasion for her as she was the first Indian Parliament Speaker to visit Pakistan, the Dawn News reported.
She said Indians wanted "friendly relations" with the Pakistani people.
The Indian delegation comprised members of various political parties and "all of us have come here with the message of peace and love," the Lok Sabha Speaker said.
The delegation visited the Punjab Provincial Assembly in Lahore and witnessed for some time its proceedings. Meira Kumar also held a meeting with Assembly Speaker Rana Muhammad Iqbal, who later hosted a luncheon in the honour of the visiting team.
She later visited the Data Darbar Sufi shrine as well as the memorial to Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
Fehmida Mirza, Speaker of the National Assembly -- the Lower House of the Pakistani Parliament -- termed the visit of Meira Kumar "fruitful".
Mirza said that through Parliamentary diplomacy, both countries have to target issues like health, education and poverty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter