Mining mafia has political support: Hegde
New Delhi: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice Santosh Hegde on Sunday said mafia involved in illegal mining cannot function without the support of political parties.
Addressing people who gathered at Jantar Mantar for Anna Hazare`s one-day fast for a strong whistleblower protection law, Hegde said he had received information regarding mafia involved in illegal mining from across the country and who were helping them.
"While investigating the Karnataka mining scam, I received information on mafia from across the country and who help them. Without political support, they cannot function," he said.
He also sought to dispel notions that he was distancing himself from Team Anna, saying he was with Anna and will remain with him in the fight against corruption.
"I think I am the only retired Supreme Court judge who is present here at the age of 72 years," he said adding he had to skip certain meetings of Team Anna due to his prior engagements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news