Mining mafia has political support: Hegde
New Delhi: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice Santosh Hegde on Sunday said mafia involved in illegal mining cannot function without the support of political parties.
Addressing people who gathered at Jantar Mantar for Anna Hazare`s one-day fast for a strong whistleblower protection law, Hegde said he had received information regarding mafia involved in illegal mining from across the country and who were helping them.
"While investigating the Karnataka mining scam, I received information on mafia from across the country and who help them. Without political support, they cannot function," he said.
He also sought to dispel notions that he was distancing himself from Team Anna, saying he was with Anna and will remain with him in the fight against corruption.
"I think I am the only retired Supreme Court judge who is present here at the age of 72 years," he said adding he had to skip certain meetings of Team Anna due to his prior engagements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?