Mining mafia has political support: Hegde
New Delhi: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice Santosh Hegde on Sunday said mafia involved in illegal mining cannot function without the support of political parties.
Addressing people who gathered at Jantar Mantar for Anna Hazare`s one-day fast for a strong whistleblower protection law, Hegde said he had received information regarding mafia involved in illegal mining from across the country and who were helping them.
"While investigating the Karnataka mining scam, I received information on mafia from across the country and who help them. Without political support, they cannot function," he said.
He also sought to dispel notions that he was distancing himself from Team Anna, saying he was with Anna and will remain with him in the fight against corruption.
"I think I am the only retired Supreme Court judge who is present here at the age of 72 years," he said adding he had to skip certain meetings of Team Anna due to his prior engagements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?