Mining mafia has political support: Hegde
New Delhi: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice Santosh Hegde on Sunday said mafia involved in illegal mining cannot function without the support of political parties.
Addressing people who gathered at Jantar Mantar for Anna Hazare`s one-day fast for a strong whistleblower protection law, Hegde said he had received information regarding mafia involved in illegal mining from across the country and who were helping them.
"While investigating the Karnataka mining scam, I received information on mafia from across the country and who help them. Without political support, they cannot function," he said.
He also sought to dispel notions that he was distancing himself from Team Anna, saying he was with Anna and will remain with him in the fight against corruption.
"I think I am the only retired Supreme Court judge who is present here at the age of 72 years," he said adding he had to skip certain meetings of Team Anna due to his prior engagements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa