MMRCA: Selection of French Rafale final, says govt
Bangalore: India on Friday made it clear that selection of French Rafale for the multi-billion dollar 126 fighter combat aircraft deal was final and said it does not
expect contract negotiations to go wrong.
"Decision is final as far as selection is concerned," said Union Minister of State for Defence, M M Pallam Raju, when asked about Britain`s statement that it would try to persuade India to look at Eurofighter Typhoon, made by a four-nation consortium, which lost the race, and New Delhi`s decision was only "preliminary and not final".
Raju said contract negotiations are on with Dassault Aviation, the makers of Rafale, adding, "after all negotiations are complete, can we say that its final".
Aked if that meant that the deal is open, Raju said: "No". "As of now, Rafale has been been finalised. That`s the final thing," he said and added, "hope nothing will go wrong (in contract negotiations)".
Last month, Britain sought to raise the pitch for Eurofighter Typhoon, positioning it as the "strongest offer" in the multi-billion contract for the supply of 126 Medium
Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) to India.
On January 31, India had announced that the Rafale fighter jet has emerged as the lowest bidder in the deal for procuring 126 combat aircraft for the Indian Air Force, edging out its European rival, EADS consortium`s Eurofighter Typhoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened