MMRCA: Selection of French Rafale final, says govt
Bangalore: India on Friday made it clear that selection of French Rafale for the multi-billion dollar 126 fighter combat aircraft deal was final and said it does not
expect contract negotiations to go wrong.
"Decision is final as far as selection is concerned," said Union Minister of State for Defence, M M Pallam Raju, when asked about Britain`s statement that it would try to persuade India to look at Eurofighter Typhoon, made by a four-nation consortium, which lost the race, and New Delhi`s decision was only "preliminary and not final".
Raju said contract negotiations are on with Dassault Aviation, the makers of Rafale, adding, "after all negotiations are complete, can we say that its final".
Aked if that meant that the deal is open, Raju said: "No". "As of now, Rafale has been been finalised. That`s the final thing," he said and added, "hope nothing will go wrong (in contract negotiations)".
Last month, Britain sought to raise the pitch for Eurofighter Typhoon, positioning it as the "strongest offer" in the multi-billion contract for the supply of 126 Medium
Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) to India.
On January 31, India had announced that the Rafale fighter jet has emerged as the lowest bidder in the deal for procuring 126 combat aircraft for the Indian Air Force, edging out its European rival, EADS consortium`s Eurofighter Typhoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan