MNREGA: States asked to put social audit mechanism
New Delhi: The states have been asked to put in place a robust social audit mechanism to improve implementation of projects under MNREGA and reduce the
irregularities found in it, the government told the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.
Replying to a question on corruption in MNREGA projects, Minister of State for Rural Development Pradeep Jain Aditya said the Ministry has been reminding state governments to investigate and take necessary action against cases of misappropriation and embezzlement of government funds.
"... not only disciplinary action should be taken against the guilty officials, but simultaneously criminal prosecution should also be initiated under Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act, besides recovering the amount involved from the persons concerned," Aditya told the House.
n consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor General, MNREGA Audit of Scheme Rules, 2011 have been notified and all states have been asked to put in place a robust social audit mechanism as outlined in these rules, he said.
To strengthen institutional outreach for wage disbursement, it has been decided that state governments should roll out Business Correspondent Model to make wage payment through banks with bio-metric authentication at village levels, Aditya said.
On providing bio-metric cards to the workers, the Minister said, "The implementation of bio-metric cards for MNREGA depends on enrollment to be completed by Unique Identification Authority, issue of smart cards by Registrar General of India and technology to be employed for enrollment and payment."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'