MNREGA: States asked to put social audit mechanism
New Delhi: The states have been asked to put in place a robust social audit mechanism to improve implementation of projects under MNREGA and reduce the
irregularities found in it, the government told the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.
Replying to a question on corruption in MNREGA projects, Minister of State for Rural Development Pradeep Jain Aditya said the Ministry has been reminding state governments to investigate and take necessary action against cases of misappropriation and embezzlement of government funds.
"... not only disciplinary action should be taken against the guilty officials, but simultaneously criminal prosecution should also be initiated under Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act, besides recovering the amount involved from the persons concerned," Aditya told the House.
n consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor General, MNREGA Audit of Scheme Rules, 2011 have been notified and all states have been asked to put in place a robust social audit mechanism as outlined in these rules, he said.
To strengthen institutional outreach for wage disbursement, it has been decided that state governments should roll out Business Correspondent Model to make wage payment through banks with bio-metric authentication at village levels, Aditya said.
On providing bio-metric cards to the workers, the Minister said, "The implementation of bio-metric cards for MNREGA depends on enrollment to be completed by Unique Identification Authority, issue of smart cards by Registrar General of India and technology to be employed for enrollment and payment."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory