MNREGA: States asked to put social audit mechanism
New Delhi: The states have been asked to put in place a robust social audit mechanism to improve implementation of projects under MNREGA and reduce the
irregularities found in it, the government told the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.
Replying to a question on corruption in MNREGA projects, Minister of State for Rural Development Pradeep Jain Aditya said the Ministry has been reminding state governments to investigate and take necessary action against cases of misappropriation and embezzlement of government funds.
"... not only disciplinary action should be taken against the guilty officials, but simultaneously criminal prosecution should also be initiated under Indian Penal Code and Prevention of Corruption Act, besides recovering the amount involved from the persons concerned," Aditya told the House.
n consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor General, MNREGA Audit of Scheme Rules, 2011 have been notified and all states have been asked to put in place a robust social audit mechanism as outlined in these rules, he said.
To strengthen institutional outreach for wage disbursement, it has been decided that state governments should roll out Business Correspondent Model to make wage payment through banks with bio-metric authentication at village levels, Aditya said.
On providing bio-metric cards to the workers, the Minister said, "The implementation of bio-metric cards for MNREGA depends on enrollment to be completed by Unique Identification Authority, issue of smart cards by Registrar General of India and technology to be employed for enrollment and payment."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok