Moderate earthquake jolts North-East India
New Delhi: An earthquake of moderate intensity shook North-East India in Meghalaya, Assam and North-West Bengal on Friday evening, the seismological office in Shillong said.
The magnitude of the quake was reported to be 5.4 on richter scale. The tremors triggered at around 6.15 pm and lasted for 10 to 15 seconds.
The quake had its epicentre at Nagaon`s Katiaholi and Puronigodam alongside the hills of Karbi Anglong district in central Assam at Latitude 26.6 degree north and Longitude 93.0 degree east, RS Dattareya of the Met Department in New Delhi said.
As per reports, panic-gripped residents moved out of their houses and started gathering on the streets to avoid any mishappening.
Slight tremors were also felt in Jalpaiguri, Malda, Bahrampur and Balurghat areas of West Bengal.
Mild tremors were also reported from some parts of Bangladesh.
As per the MET department, the possibility of aftershocks cannot be ruled out.
Meanwhile, National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) team has reached the spot to take stock of the situation.
Although there was no report of any major damage so far, a mosque near the Sadar police station in Nagaon and several multi-storeyed buildings developed cracks under the impact of the tremor. One concrete wall collapsed at Jyotinagar area of Guwahati.
Official sources said two labourers sustained serious injuries in the wall collapse while they were on working at Raha in Nagaon. They were admitted to Nagaon civil hospital and reported to be out of danger.
Some temporary huts were also damaged in the slum areas of the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray