Moderate earthquake jolts North-East India
New Delhi: An earthquake of moderate intensity shook North-East India in Meghalaya, Assam and North-West Bengal on Friday evening, the seismological office in Shillong said.
The magnitude of the quake was reported to be 5.4 on richter scale. The tremors triggered at around 6.15 pm and lasted for 10 to 15 seconds.
The quake had its epicentre at Nagaon`s Katiaholi and Puronigodam alongside the hills of Karbi Anglong district in central Assam at Latitude 26.6 degree north and Longitude 93.0 degree east, RS Dattareya of the Met Department in New Delhi said.
As per reports, panic-gripped residents moved out of their houses and started gathering on the streets to avoid any mishappening.
Slight tremors were also felt in Jalpaiguri, Malda, Bahrampur and Balurghat areas of West Bengal.
Mild tremors were also reported from some parts of Bangladesh.
As per the MET department, the possibility of aftershocks cannot be ruled out.
Meanwhile, National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) team has reached the spot to take stock of the situation.
Although there was no report of any major damage so far, a mosque near the Sadar police station in Nagaon and several multi-storeyed buildings developed cracks under the impact of the tremor. One concrete wall collapsed at Jyotinagar area of Guwahati.
Official sources said two labourers sustained serious injuries in the wall collapse while they were on working at Raha in Nagaon. They were admitted to Nagaon civil hospital and reported to be out of danger.
Some temporary huts were also damaged in the slum areas of the city.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!