`Modern weapons must for troops in anti-Naxal ops’
New Delhi: Police personnel should be trained properly and armed with modern weapons and gadgets before they are sent for duties in Naxal-affected areas, a Parliamentary panel has said.
A report of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs has said that extensive training should be provided to the troopers of the central forces who undergo regular causalities while rendering these duties in the Maoist- affected states.
"The Committee views that although the multi-pronged development strategy is required to check spread of Left Wing Extremism (LWE), the government should also provide required training to the central police forces as well as state police forces and modernise them," the report tabled in Parliament said.
"The Committee, therefore, recommends that the police personnel should be trained properly before sending them to the Naxal-affected areas. The Committee also recommends that these personnel should be equipped with all necessary modern weapons and gadgets," it said.
The Home Ministry, on its part, had informed the panel that the Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) battalions, prior to their induction in the LWE- affected states, undergo counter-insurgency/pre-induction training at two stages.
"At the first stage, they undergo pre-induction training of four weeks with the Army infantry units and thereafter familiarisation and orientation training of 15 days under the respective state police arrangements."
The report said that "the frequent causalities of the central police forces while combating the menace of Naxalism in the LWE-affected areas reveal the need for extensive training of forces and equipping them with latest weapons and gadgets before sending them for actual field operation.
"Adherence to Standard Operating Procedures must be impressed invariably and non-observance of the same should be viewed seriously," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video