`Modi indulges in politics of destruction and not of construction`: Congress
New Delhi: With senior BJP leaders failing to bring an end to the crisis caused by Lal Krishna Advani`s resignation, Congress Party on Tuesday launched a frontal attack on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying the latter indulges in politics of destruction and not of construction.
"Now it has been proved that not only has he drawn lines of division in the BJP, but now nobody has any doubt that there would be further division in the NDA (National Democratic Alliance) as well," said Congress leader Satyavrat Chaturvedi.
Meanwhile, senior BJP leader Jaswant Sinha, who met Advani at his residence here today to placate him to withdraw his resignation, expressed hope for a speedy resolution of the issue.
"We are aware about his views and his concerns. I feel that swift solution to this problem should be found. It is in the interest of the party as well as the nation. And the people of the party will succeed in their endeavour to convince Advaniji (to withdraw his resignation)," he said.
Advani on Monday resigned from party`s Parliamentary Board, Election Committee and National Executive.
In his resignation letter submitted to BJP President Rajnath Singh, Advani said he has been finding it difficult to reconcile with the functioning of the party and the direction in which it is going.
Advani, who was not happy with Modi`s appointment as the chairman of campaign committee for 2014 general elections, said that most BJP leaders are concerned just with their personal agenda.
The BJP President earlier in the day denied reports that the party is under pressure from the RSS over the crisis triggered by Advani`s resignation. He said the news stories suggesting it are baseless.
Senior BJP leaders visited Advani at his residence here today to persuade him to withdraw his resignation, which was rejected by the party`s top decision-making body last evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok