Modi not capable of attaining stature of national leader: Congress
New Delhi: Stung by Narendra Modi`s attack at BJP National Council, Congress on Sunday said the Gujarat Chief was mistaken if he thought that he could attain the stature of a national leader by spending crores of rupees of the state for "self propaganda".
"The kind of language that Narendra Modi ji used today does not behove any leader of national stature. I think he is yet not capable of attaining the stature of a national leader. By spending crores belonging to Gujarat for self propaganda, if someone thinks that he has become a national leader, then he is mistaken," Union Minister Rajiv Shukla said.
The ruling party accused Modi of double-speak and took exception to his remarks against the Prime Minister.
"His speech is a bundle of lies. Today he is expressing liking for Pranab Mukherjee. If you had courage and conviction, than why did Modi ji not support Pranab Mukherjee (in the Presidential elections). NDA partners Nitish Kumar and Shiv Sena had done so. Yesterday Pranab Mukherjee was not likeable, then you were praising Sangma. This is double speak," Shukla added.
Earlier Modi, in his speech at the BJP National Council meeting here had said that though Pranab Mukherjee was more deserving, the Congress did not make him the Prime Minister and chose Manmohan Singh.
"They realised that if Pranab Mukherjee is successful then what will happen to the (Gandhi) family," Modi had said.
Without naming Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the BJP leader said the Congress appointed a "night watchman" to keep the seat warm for the first family of the Congress.
Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi retorted: "Dr Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is the Prime Minister of the country and not just of the Congress. His name should be taken with respect. His honour is the country`s honour."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow