Modi not capable of attaining stature of national leader: Congress
New Delhi: Stung by Narendra Modi`s attack at BJP National Council, Congress on Sunday said the Gujarat Chief was mistaken if he thought that he could attain the stature of a national leader by spending crores of rupees of the state for "self propaganda".
"The kind of language that Narendra Modi ji used today does not behove any leader of national stature. I think he is yet not capable of attaining the stature of a national leader. By spending crores belonging to Gujarat for self propaganda, if someone thinks that he has become a national leader, then he is mistaken," Union Minister Rajiv Shukla said.
The ruling party accused Modi of double-speak and took exception to his remarks against the Prime Minister.
"His speech is a bundle of lies. Today he is expressing liking for Pranab Mukherjee. If you had courage and conviction, than why did Modi ji not support Pranab Mukherjee (in the Presidential elections). NDA partners Nitish Kumar and Shiv Sena had done so. Yesterday Pranab Mukherjee was not likeable, then you were praising Sangma. This is double speak," Shukla added.
Earlier Modi, in his speech at the BJP National Council meeting here had said that though Pranab Mukherjee was more deserving, the Congress did not make him the Prime Minister and chose Manmohan Singh.
"They realised that if Pranab Mukherjee is successful then what will happen to the (Gandhi) family," Modi had said.
Without naming Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the BJP leader said the Congress appointed a "night watchman" to keep the seat warm for the first family of the Congress.
Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi retorted: "Dr Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is the Prime Minister of the country and not just of the Congress. His name should be taken with respect. His honour is the country`s honour."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day