Modi not capable of attaining stature of national leader: Congress
New Delhi: Stung by Narendra Modi`s attack at BJP National Council, Congress on Sunday said the Gujarat Chief was mistaken if he thought that he could attain the stature of a national leader by spending crores of rupees of the state for "self propaganda".
"The kind of language that Narendra Modi ji used today does not behove any leader of national stature. I think he is yet not capable of attaining the stature of a national leader. By spending crores belonging to Gujarat for self propaganda, if someone thinks that he has become a national leader, then he is mistaken," Union Minister Rajiv Shukla said.
The ruling party accused Modi of double-speak and took exception to his remarks against the Prime Minister.
"His speech is a bundle of lies. Today he is expressing liking for Pranab Mukherjee. If you had courage and conviction, than why did Modi ji not support Pranab Mukherjee (in the Presidential elections). NDA partners Nitish Kumar and Shiv Sena had done so. Yesterday Pranab Mukherjee was not likeable, then you were praising Sangma. This is double speak," Shukla added.
Earlier Modi, in his speech at the BJP National Council meeting here had said that though Pranab Mukherjee was more deserving, the Congress did not make him the Prime Minister and chose Manmohan Singh.
"They realised that if Pranab Mukherjee is successful then what will happen to the (Gandhi) family," Modi had said.
Without naming Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the BJP leader said the Congress appointed a "night watchman" to keep the seat warm for the first family of the Congress.
Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi retorted: "Dr Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is the Prime Minister of the country and not just of the Congress. His name should be taken with respect. His honour is the country`s honour."
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today