Modi would be stopped if he talks politics at Mahakumbh: SP
New Delhi/Lucknow: On a day when the top brass of the VHP, RSS and BJP are scheduled to meet at the Maha Kumbh to deliberate on Hindutva, the Samajwadi Party issued a strong warning to the BJP to not use the Maha Kumbh for politics.
“The BJP leaders can go to the Maha Kumbh to seek the blessings of the seers, but they should not indulge in politics over there,” SP leader Ram Ashrey Kushwaha said.
"Mahakumbh is an occasion having spiritual and religious significance... Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi can come there and take a holy dip during his visit on February 13 and take the blessings of saints but if he opts to indulge in politics, he would be stopped," Kushwaha added.
"Kumbh area is a religious place and it should remain as that... It is our advice and also our request," he said.
The warning from the SP came even as the BJP president arrived in Allahabad for a dip in the Ganges, to be followed by the all important meeting at the VHP camp in the mela city.
The BJP was also quick to hit back at the SP for the warning and said that the Maha Kumbh was not anybody’s property.
Senior state leader Kalraj Mishra said that SP’s responsibility is limited to the smooth conduct of the Maha Kumbh and it cannot decide on who goes there and who does not.
"Rajnath Singh visits Kumbh every year for a holy dip. His or Narendra Modi`s visit shouldn`t be politicised," he said.
Moreover, there is buzz surrounding the upcoming visit of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to the Kumbh as it comes amid growing demand for him to be anointed as the prime ministerial candidate of the BJP.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire