Modi would be stopped if he talks politics at Mahakumbh: SP
New Delhi/Lucknow: On a day when the top brass of the VHP, RSS and BJP are scheduled to meet at the Maha Kumbh to deliberate on Hindutva, the Samajwadi Party issued a strong warning to the BJP to not use the Maha Kumbh for politics.
“The BJP leaders can go to the Maha Kumbh to seek the blessings of the seers, but they should not indulge in politics over there,” SP leader Ram Ashrey Kushwaha said.
"Mahakumbh is an occasion having spiritual and religious significance... Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi can come there and take a holy dip during his visit on February 13 and take the blessings of saints but if he opts to indulge in politics, he would be stopped," Kushwaha added.
"Kumbh area is a religious place and it should remain as that... It is our advice and also our request," he said.
The warning from the SP came even as the BJP president arrived in Allahabad for a dip in the Ganges, to be followed by the all important meeting at the VHP camp in the mela city.
The BJP was also quick to hit back at the SP for the warning and said that the Maha Kumbh was not anybody’s property.
Senior state leader Kalraj Mishra said that SP’s responsibility is limited to the smooth conduct of the Maha Kumbh and it cannot decide on who goes there and who does not.
"Rajnath Singh visits Kumbh every year for a holy dip. His or Narendra Modi`s visit shouldn`t be politicised," he said.
Moreover, there is buzz surrounding the upcoming visit of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to the Kumbh as it comes amid growing demand for him to be anointed as the prime ministerial candidate of the BJP.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read