Monsoon to hit Kerala coast on June 01: Met dept
New Delhi: In what can be said to be good news for our agricultural sector and our farmers, the monsoons in India is likely to hit the South coast on June 01, as per the Met department on Tuesday.
The rainy season in India lasts for about four months when the country receives the maximum rains. The monsoon starts over the Kerala coast and then proceeds to other parts.
Science and Technology Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh had said on April 26 that India`s monsoon was likely to be normal this year.
`India Meteorological Department`s long range forecast for the 2012 southwest monsoon season (June-September) is that the rainfall for the country as a whole is most likely to be normal, which is between 96 to 104 percent of the long period average," Deshmukh had said.
The Met department had added that the probability of the monsoon being below par was just 24 percent. The El Nino weather conditions, associated with below-normal rains, may come into play in the later part of the season.
The monsoon season lasts in the country from June to September and it accounts for almost 90% of India’s annual rainfall. Also, 60% of agricultural produce in India is dependent on the rains for irrigation. India receives 89 cm of rainfall on an average during this season.
If the predictions are on target then India is due for normal rains third year in a row. For the past two years rains have been normal in India. Normal monsoon also results in an increase in the sale of tractors and fertilisers.
With farmers still dependent on rains in most parts of the country for cultivation, a good rainfall during this period is vital for the agricultural output, which is the prime driver of our economy. India is world`s second-biggest producer of rice, wheat, sugar and cotton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla