Moral education is high priority: Pallam Raju
New Delhi: Reviving moral education is high on the list of priorities of new Human Resource Development Minister MM Pallam Raju, who took charge Wednesday.
The minister took charge after a traditional puja ceremony, worshiping Tirupati Balaji, believed to be an incarnation of Hindu god Vishnu.
Raju said "heritage" was India`s strength, and emphasised reinstating the "traditional value system" in the present generation.
"Our heritage is our strength. It is important that the value system in our heritage be revived and reintroduced to this generation, so it becomes an inherent part of the education system," Raju told reporters soon after he took charge.
The minister said the role of parents and the "guru" or teacher in a child`s education is significant, and the traditional importance accorded to them has eroded. "We need to revive that," he said.
Raju said technology served as a distraction for students, but it could be used to nurture values in children.
"We don`t want our kids to get disillusioned with the system. India is one of the most vibrant democracies," he said.
Asked if his comments implied revision in syllabi, the minister said: "Within the existing methodology and given a time frame, we will do whatever can be done."
Raju`s father and former union minister MS Sanjeevi Rao was also present as he took charge of the ministry.
Raju said he would focus on consolidating the work done by his predecessor Kapil Sibal, and focus on improving the quality of education, to make it more industry- oriented.
"A recent survey found that only 17 percent of engineering graduates in India are employable; 30 percent are trainable. According to the report, there are 53 percent of graduates who cannot be employed at all. That is a great concern," the minister said, adding that there was need to strengthen industry-academic linkage.
Talking about pending education bills, Raju said he expected to get some of them passed during the coming winter session, after taking all parties on board.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India