Motorcyle rally to Wagah to create awareness on blood donation
Karimganj (Assam): Twenty motorcyclists on thursday left for Wagah, bordering Pakistan, to generate awareness on blood donation.
The rally, organized by the Barak Valley Voluntary Blood Donors` Forum to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, was kicked off from Sutarkandi in Karimganj district, bordering Bangladesh.
The rally will move through 150 districts of the country and later assemble at Wagha, a village in Punjab, bordering Pakistan from where they will again return back to Sutarkandi on February 7, covering a distance around 8,600 km distance.
It will move through eight state capitals of the country- Shillong, Guwahati, Kolkata, Ranchi, Lucknow, Delhi and Chandigarh.
Among the 20 participants, there are seven government employees with the oldest participant being 63-year old retired government employee Hiralal Debnath and the youngest 24-year old student Biswa Kalyan Purkayastha.
The Forum will hold street corner meetings to disseminate the messages of voluntary blood donation.
Forum Secretary Ashu Paul said that this was an attempt to create mass awareness on blood donation and to clear all misconceptions associated about it.
“There are so many people who still feel scared to donate blood. The rally is an attempt to increase awareness in the community on safe and sustainable blood donation,” he said.
The rallyists would also meet President of India Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan on their way to Wagah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested