Motorcyle rally to Wagah to create awareness on blood donation
Karimganj (Assam): Twenty motorcyclists on thursday left for Wagah, bordering Pakistan, to generate awareness on blood donation.
The rally, organized by the Barak Valley Voluntary Blood Donors` Forum to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, was kicked off from Sutarkandi in Karimganj district, bordering Bangladesh.
The rally will move through 150 districts of the country and later assemble at Wagha, a village in Punjab, bordering Pakistan from where they will again return back to Sutarkandi on February 7, covering a distance around 8,600 km distance.
It will move through eight state capitals of the country- Shillong, Guwahati, Kolkata, Ranchi, Lucknow, Delhi and Chandigarh.
Among the 20 participants, there are seven government employees with the oldest participant being 63-year old retired government employee Hiralal Debnath and the youngest 24-year old student Biswa Kalyan Purkayastha.
The Forum will hold street corner meetings to disseminate the messages of voluntary blood donation.
Forum Secretary Ashu Paul said that this was an attempt to create mass awareness on blood donation and to clear all misconceptions associated about it.
“There are so many people who still feel scared to donate blood. The rally is an attempt to increase awareness in the community on safe and sustainable blood donation,” he said.
The rallyists would also meet President of India Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan on their way to Wagah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics