Much-touted Food Security Bill introduced in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: The much-touted Food Security Bill, which proposes to give the country`s three-fourth population the right to highly-subsidised food, was introduced in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday with the government rejecting apprehensions that it would impinge upon the rights of states.
Food Minister K V Thomas introduced the fresh Bill after withdrawing an earlier one along with the ordinance which was promulgated on July 5.
Moving the National Food Security Bill, 2013, which promises to give right to the country`s 80 crore people to get 5 kg of foodgrains every month at Rs 1-3 per kg, Thomas said there is nothing in it against the states.
"It does not impinge upon the rights of states. It protects the Constitution," he said to allay apprehensions expressed by Tamil Nadu parties -- AIADMK and DMK -- over the new law.
He said any concern could be debated upon when the bill comes up for discussion in the House.
Earlier, AIADMK member M Thambidurai opposed introduction of the bill saying it is against the Constitution and federal system.
"It is not Food Security Bill, it is actually Food Insecurity Bill," he said, adding it should brought only after consultations with states.
Contending that the bill has "several flaws that have created serious apprehensions", he said the legislation amounts to "interfering with state governments".
Thambidurai, whose party is in power in Tamil Nadu, said the bill will affect his state where a universal scheme for providing subsidised food is already being implemented "successfully" by the state government.
He said the bill would result in additional financial burden of around Rs 3,000 crore to the state exchequer.
DMK leader T R Baalu also said his party has issues with the bill in its present form and would move amendments.
"It should not be detrimental to the state`s off-take (of food)," he said, noting that the proposed legislation will have far-reaching implications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next