‘Mulayam not to back Jaswant Singh for VP’
New Delhi: Sources said on Tuesday that the Samajwadi Party will not back Jaswant Singh for the post of Vice President if he decides to contest.
The development came after Jaswant Singh met SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav amid speculation that the BJP leader could be lobbying for the Vice President`s post.
When Yadav was meeting yoga guru Ramdev at his residence on the issue of black money here this morning, Jaswant Singh drove in and was inside the SP leader`s house for ten minutes.
It is understood that the three discussed the issue of Indian black money stashed away abroad. Jaswant Singh had raised the issue on behalf of the BJP in the Lok Sabha.
The meeting between the SP chief and Jaswant Singh triggered speculation that the BJP leader may be making an effort to lobby for himself as a candidate in the Vice Presidential poll.
BJP and NDA have not yet taken a stand on issue of Presidential and Vice Presidential election candidates.
After the meeting, Yadav came out to see off Jaswant Singh and the two were seen talking one-on-one for some time.
Sources said Jaswant Singh has been lobbying for his candidature for the post of Vice President for some time. He has reportedly discussed the issue within and outside the party.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, whose SAD is part of the NDA, has also been talked about as a possible Vice Presidential candidate.
(With PTI inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference