Multi-barrel rocket launcher `Pinaka` test fired
Balasore (Odisha): A demonstration trial of
India`s indigenously developed multi-barrel rocket launcher
weapon system, `Pinaka` was today conducted in presence of
personnel from the Indian Army and scientists at a defence
base, about 15 km from here.
"Four rounds of test-firing were conducted during the
trial," defence sources said.
`Pinaka`, an unguided rocket system and an area weapon
system aimed at supplementing the existing artillery guns at a
range beyond 30 km, is capable of acting as a
force-multiplier, they said.
The demonstration of `Pinaka`, which has undergone several
tough tests since 1995 and is in an advance stage of
development, took place at Chandipur-on-sea at the Proof
Experimental Establishment by Army and scientists from Defence
Research and Development Organisation, the sources said.?
It was meant to neutralise a large geographical area with
a rapid salvo of rockets. With a strike range of 40 km,
`Pinaka` could fire a salvo of 12 rockets in 44 seconds, they
One salvo each of 12 rockets from a battery of six
launchers could neutralise a target area of 3.9 sq km at a
time, they said.
Its quick reaction time, accuracy and high rate of fire
gave an edge to the armed forces during low-intensity warlike
situations, the sources said.
The system`s capability to incorporate several types of
warheads made it deadly for the enemy as it could destroy
solid structures and bunkers, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes