Multi-barrel rocket launcher `Pinaka` test fired
Balasore (Odisha): A demonstration trial of
India`s indigenously developed multi-barrel rocket launcher
weapon system, `Pinaka` was today conducted in presence of
personnel from the Indian Army and scientists at a defence
base, about 15 km from here.
"Four rounds of test-firing were conducted during the
trial," defence sources said.
`Pinaka`, an unguided rocket system and an area weapon
system aimed at supplementing the existing artillery guns at a
range beyond 30 km, is capable of acting as a
force-multiplier, they said.
The demonstration of `Pinaka`, which has undergone several
tough tests since 1995 and is in an advance stage of
development, took place at Chandipur-on-sea at the Proof
Experimental Establishment by Army and scientists from Defence
Research and Development Organisation, the sources said.?
It was meant to neutralise a large geographical area with
a rapid salvo of rockets. With a strike range of 40 km,
`Pinaka` could fire a salvo of 12 rockets in 44 seconds, they
One salvo each of 12 rockets from a battery of six
launchers could neutralise a target area of 3.9 sq km at a
time, they said.
Its quick reaction time, accuracy and high rate of fire
gave an edge to the armed forces during low-intensity warlike
situations, the sources said.
The system`s capability to incorporate several types of
warheads made it deadly for the enemy as it could destroy
solid structures and bunkers, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing