Narendra Modi meets Advani, discusses NDA split
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: On his first visit to the national capital after being elevated to election campaign committee chief, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday met senior BJP leader LK Advani.
The duo had a "good meeting" and discussed the recent political developments, including the split in the NDA.
According to reports, Modi promised Advani that he would take everyone along.
The hour-long meeting between Modi and Advani at Prithviraj Road here came in the backdrop of the latter`s opposition to the former being elevated as party’s poll panel chief.
The two leaders discussed a range of issues including the party`s internal affairs and the split in the NDA after BJP`s old-time ally JD(U) parted ways after an alliance of 17 years, the sources said.
Today`s meeting assumed significance as Advani had resigned from key party posts expressing displeasure at being sidelined over the Modi issue.
Advani, however, later withdrew his resignation following a telephonic talk with RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat and persuasion by BJP leaders.
Modi drove down to Advani`s residence after holding talks with senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi.
After meeting Advani, the Gujarat Chief Minister spent more than an hour with ailing former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee at his residence.
As soon as the Gujarat CM left, Joshi told reporters that Modi came to express his gratitude after being anointed as chairman of the BJP campaign committee. "(Modi) told me that he is including everyone in the process and will uphold this responsibility well," Joshi added.
"Modiji has come to Delhi to express his gratitude over his recent appointment as chairman of the BJP Campaign Committee at Goa. He has expressed his gratitude and said he is trying to fulfil the responsibility given to him," Joshi later told reporters.
Modi is in Delhi primarily to meet Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia and finalise the state`s annual plan.
The Gujarat Chief Minister will also reportedly meet BJP president Rajnath Singh.
He is also expected to meet Bhagwat, who is also slated to meet Advani.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology