Nasheed’s issue: India in touch with Maldivian authorities, says MEA
New Delhi: An MEA spokesperson on Wednesday said that India is in touch with the Maldivian authorities to resolve the arrest issue of former President Mohd Nasheed.
Earlier today Nasheed took refuge in the Indian High Commission in Male, after an arrest warrant was issued against him.
The Maldivian Court has rejected Nasheed`s application for stay on his arrest but as the Indian High Commission is a designated diplomatic area, he cannot be arrested till the time he remains inside the complex.
Outside the Indian Embassy in Maldives` capital, a huge posse of police stand guard outside to arrest him as soon as he comes out.
Nasheed sought shelter after an arrest warrant was issued against him for not attending a court hearing - on Feb 10 - in connection with the detention of criminal court judge in January 2012, during his tenure as the president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach