Nation celebrates festival of lights Diwali
New Delhi: Earthen diyas dotted houses and fireworks illuminated the evening sky as people celebrated Diwali decorating their homes with colourful rangolis, twinkling electric bulbs and exchanged sweets on Tuesday.
It was fun and frolic for children and youth as they burst crackers and lit fireworks while families visited their neighbours, exchanged `Happy Diwali` greetings and sweets. Youngsters also took the route of SMS and social networking websites to wish each other.
There was bonhomie between Indian and Pakistani guards at border posts as they exchanged sweets and gifts in the morning.
As excitement gripped the country, tragedy struck a family in Uttar Pradesh`s Auraiya district when six of its members and two others died in an explosion in a house where fire crackers were manufactured illegally.
According to Hindu belief, Diwali is celebrated to mark the return of Lord Rama to Ayodhya from his exile after vanquishing demon-king Ravana.
In the national capital, people decorated their homes and shops with colourful `rangolis`, flowers and lightings and lit `diyas` or earthen lamps. The security arrangements were tightened in the national capital in view of intelligence warnings of possible terror attacks by militant outfit Indian Mujahideen (IM).
In nearby Amritsar, thousands of people paid obeisance in the Golden Temple, which was illuminated by fancy lights.
People also celebrated Diwali in other parts of the country with traditional fervour and gaiety. Devouts thronged temples and offered prayers.
In Tamil Nadu, newlyweds were seen enjoying the moments with their friends and relatives wishing them `Thalai Deepavali` (the first Diwali with their spouses). Cinema halls in Chennai too were filled with two notable Kollywood films being released - "Thuppakki" and "Poda Podi".
Bollywood turned to Twitter to greet the people and also to ask fans to go slow on sweets and and crackers. For movie buffs, there were new releases like Shah Rukh Khan`s "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" and Ajay Devgn`s "Son of Sardar".
President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh greeted the people on the occasion of Diwali, saying the festival of lights strengthens the country`s resolve to follow true ethical values.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM