Nation celebrates Makar Sankranti with fervour
New Delhi: Festivities were marked across the nation as people on Monday celebrate Makar Sankranti, a major Hindu festival. Makar Sankranti also marks the beginning of Mahakumbh in Allahabad from today.
On Sankranti, millions of devotees are expected to throng the ghats of Ganga to take a holy dip as it is considered to be auspicious. Taking a holy dip at the Sangam also marks the beginning of Uttarayan. Usually it falls on January 14 every year and there can be a shift of one day.
The term Sankranti means overpowering of one sign over another. Sankranti is the based on solar calendar unlike other festivals that are based on lunar calendar. On this day, all rituals which pay obeisance to sun are performed.
Wearing black and consumption of til (seasame) and gud (jiggery) are considered to be auspicious. People also fly kites during the day with several states holding kite-flying festivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!