Nation celebrates Makar Sankranti with fervour
New Delhi: Festivities were marked across the nation as people on Monday celebrate Makar Sankranti, a major Hindu festival. Makar Sankranti also marks the beginning of Mahakumbh in Allahabad from today.
On Sankranti, millions of devotees are expected to throng the ghats of Ganga to take a holy dip as it is considered to be auspicious. Taking a holy dip at the Sangam also marks the beginning of Uttarayan. Usually it falls on January 14 every year and there can be a shift of one day.
The term Sankranti means overpowering of one sign over another. Sankranti is the based on solar calendar unlike other festivals that are based on lunar calendar. On this day, all rituals which pay obeisance to sun are performed.
Wearing black and consumption of til (seasame) and gud (jiggery) are considered to be auspicious. People also fly kites during the day with several states holding kite-flying festivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation