Nation celebrates Makar Sankranti with fervour
New Delhi: Festivities were marked across the nation as people on Monday celebrate Makar Sankranti, a major Hindu festival. Makar Sankranti also marks the beginning of Mahakumbh in Allahabad from today.
On Sankranti, millions of devotees are expected to throng the ghats of Ganga to take a holy dip as it is considered to be auspicious. Taking a holy dip at the Sangam also marks the beginning of Uttarayan. Usually it falls on January 14 every year and there can be a shift of one day.
The term Sankranti means overpowering of one sign over another. Sankranti is the based on solar calendar unlike other festivals that are based on lunar calendar. On this day, all rituals which pay obeisance to sun are performed.
Wearing black and consumption of til (seasame) and gud (jiggery) are considered to be auspicious. People also fly kites during the day with several states holding kite-flying festivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29