Nation looks up to Sonia to provide secular govt: Karunanidhi
Chennai: After extending crucial support to the Centre on the FDI in retail issue, DMK on Saturday sought to cement its ties with UPA with its chief M Karunanidhi saying the nation "looks upto" to UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi to provide a "secular and stable" government.
"As Chairperson of UPA, you have been crossing a number of roadblocks tactfully and facing many hurdles successfully. As it is often said, obstacles are stepping stones to greater success", Karunandhi said in a message to Gandhi who will turn 67 tomorrow.
The nation "looks up to you only at this critical phase" to provide a secular and stable government at the Centre, he said adding that "despite certain impediments, the achievements of UPA government have been quite impressive".
"The poor and middle classes of people of this country certainly realize your abiding interest in their livelihood and welfare", Karunanidhi said in the message.
DMK leaders led by party`s Parliamentary Party leader T R Baalu met Gandhi at her residence in Delhi and presented bouquets to her.
Acknowledging that she had received Karunanidhi`s greetings, Gandhi thanked the DMK leader, Baalu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply