Nation looks up to Sonia to provide secular govt: Karunanidhi
Chennai: After extending crucial support to the Centre on the FDI in retail issue, DMK on Saturday sought to cement its ties with UPA with its chief M Karunanidhi saying the nation "looks upto" to UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi to provide a "secular and stable" government.
"As Chairperson of UPA, you have been crossing a number of roadblocks tactfully and facing many hurdles successfully. As it is often said, obstacles are stepping stones to greater success", Karunandhi said in a message to Gandhi who will turn 67 tomorrow.
The nation "looks up to you only at this critical phase" to provide a secular and stable government at the Centre, he said adding that "despite certain impediments, the achievements of UPA government have been quite impressive".
"The poor and middle classes of people of this country certainly realize your abiding interest in their livelihood and welfare", Karunanidhi said in the message.
DMK leaders led by party`s Parliamentary Party leader T R Baalu met Gandhi at her residence in Delhi and presented bouquets to her.
Acknowledging that she had received Karunanidhi`s greetings, Gandhi thanked the DMK leader, Baalu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day