Nation looks up to Sonia to provide secular govt: Karunanidhi
Chennai: After extending crucial support to the Centre on the FDI in retail issue, DMK on Saturday sought to cement its ties with UPA with its chief M Karunanidhi saying the nation "looks upto" to UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi to provide a "secular and stable" government.
"As Chairperson of UPA, you have been crossing a number of roadblocks tactfully and facing many hurdles successfully. As it is often said, obstacles are stepping stones to greater success", Karunandhi said in a message to Gandhi who will turn 67 tomorrow.
The nation "looks up to you only at this critical phase" to provide a secular and stable government at the Centre, he said adding that "despite certain impediments, the achievements of UPA government have been quite impressive".
"The poor and middle classes of people of this country certainly realize your abiding interest in their livelihood and welfare", Karunanidhi said in the message.
DMK leaders led by party`s Parliamentary Party leader T R Baalu met Gandhi at her residence in Delhi and presented bouquets to her.
Acknowledging that she had received Karunanidhi`s greetings, Gandhi thanked the DMK leader, Baalu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post