National Herald case: Congress alleges `political motives` behind prosecution
New Delhi: Congress on Friday alleged "political motives" behind the case of alleged misappropriation of funds and cheating in acquiring ownership of the now-defunct daily National Herald.
"I think we are still of the view that there is no wrong that has been done and there is definitely a political motivation behind the prosecution," party spokesperson Shashi Tharoor said.
Tharoor said this while responding to questions about reports that the Enforcement Directorate started a preliminary investigation into allegations of cheating and criminal breach of trust relating to the acquisition of National Herald.
In another development, the Delhi High Court today issued notice to BJP leader Subramanian Swamy on a batch of petitions filed by Congress President Sonia Gandhi and others in the case.
The Congress leaders have challenged the lower court`s orders summoning them on a complaint by Swamy alleging cheating and misappropriation of funds in the acquisition of the daily by Young Indian (YI).
Besides Sonia Gandhi, Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Party treasurer Moti Lal Vora are among the directors of Young India which was recently given almost 99 per cent ordinary shares of the Associated Journals Limited AJL. AJL had been publishing newspapers `National Herald` in English, "Navjivan" in Hindi and "Quami Awaz" in Urdu.
Responding to a question on the issue, another party spokesperson and senior lawyer Abhishek Singhvi said "we are a responsible party, we do not believe in discussing judicial matters in a light-hearted manner."
He said the High Court has issued a notice on petitions filed by the Congress President, the Vice President and others.
"A notice will be returned as they say in legal parlance on August 5 which means that the respondent, one of whom is a complainant Subramanian Swamy and the other is the central government, will come and respond. So, there is a notice today and that is the law," he said.
On the civil services exam row, Singhvi said it is "most unfortunate" that the government is "playing with the lives of millions of aspirants to civil services" by "failing" to resolve the issue this way or that way.
"We are not on the merits at the moment. The government is not entitled to dither on this. Our problem at the moment is not even the merit of the decision....The government only has a recommendatory role to the UPSC. The decider of the whole issue is the UPSC.
"Either you must tell them that they must go ahead with that date or tell them there will be reasonable deferment. It cannot be allowed to drift in this manner. We condemn this absolute, casual and cavalier attitude of the government of India as reflected in the last few days and today," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’