Navy commissions Advanced Light Helicopter squadron
Kochi: The first Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) squadron was commissioned Tuesday by Western Naval Command chief Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha here.
The ALH, named Dhruv, is the first indigenously designed and manufactured helicopter built by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. It has proven its multi-role capabilities and its mettle in all the three services of India`s armed forces, besides in the Indian Coast Guard, the Border Security Force, and in the inventory of foreign countries.
The newly commissioned squadron would be known as the Indian Naval Air Squadron (INAS) 322.
Addressing the commissioning ceremony, Vice Admiral Sinha said that in the navy, Dhruv helicopters have been transformed into advanced search and rescue (SAR) helicopters. They are also used for heliborne operations, and armed patrol with night vision devices.
Such machines in the inventory have become imperative for the navy, given the scenario of low-intensity maritime operations and coastal security, he added.
Vice Admiral Satish Soni, Southern Naval Command chief under whose administrative control the INAS 322 would function, in his address said the versatile chopper would soon be cleared for night SAR role, one of the few helicopters in the world to have that capability over sea.
He also expressed satisfaction that the ALH would beef up the coast security architecture.
The commissioning ceremony was held at INS Garuda, the Naval Air Station and mother base of the INAS 322, here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!