NCPCR seeks report from CARA on fake adoptions
New Delhi: Concerned over fake inter-country adoptions, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has demanded an action report from the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA), especially in cases where children have gone missing and traced in foreign lands.
Following representations from NGOs, activists and group of parents complaining that a number of Indian placement agencies were involved in fake adoptions, NCPCR wrote to CARA earlier this month, citing cases of nine children, who went missing from various parts of the country and were later traced to foreign countries, including Denmark, Spain, the US and Italy.
"We have sought an action report from CARA on these nine cases. We are worried about the rights of these children who are growing in alien environs and away from their biological parents," a NCPCR member told PTI here.
These cases were brought to NCPCR`s attention during an International Meet for Mutual Cooperation on Inter-Country Adoption between India and other countries held in February here.
In its letter, NCPCR also mentioned that these inter-country adoptions carried out without biological parents consent is a breach of the procedural mandates laid down by the Supreme Court in the matter.
It is also in violation of Article 4 of the Hague Convention according to which "an adoption shall take place only if the competent authorities of the state of origin have established that the child is adoptable, consider inter-country adoption to be in child`s best interests after considering all possibilities of in-country adoption" apart from obtaining all necessary consent including that of the parents, NCPCR said.
The letter carries special mention of a boy`s ordeal who
was kidnapped when he was just a year old, while he was sleeping outside his house with his parents in Chennai in 1999 and placed in adoption with a family in the Netherlands through a Dutch adoption agency.
According to the letter, CBI has investigated the case and submitted charge sheet in an Egmore court which issued a Letters Rogatory in 2008 under Section 165 A of the Criminal Procedure Court to the Netherlands for execution of the guilty, which the Dutch authorities denied to have received.
Thus the matter has not moved ahead and the parents of the child are still waiting for him to come back to India.
The letter also seeks action report of the eight other children who are fraudulently taken and are now living in Denmark, Spain, the US, Italy, Australia and Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22