NCW member accuses BJP leader Meenakshi Lekhi of irresponsible behaviour
New Delhi: National Women`s Commission (NCW) member Shamina Shafiq on Saturday criticised Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi, for revealing the surname of the victim of the sexual assault case involving former Tehelka editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal on Twitter .
"She is a responsible person, and if a person like her makes a mistake like this, than it is very unfortunate. It is a punishable offence under 228A, that you cannot reveal the identity of the victim. We will be taking action against this. We will ask for her explanation on this issue," she said on Meenakshi Lekhi, who on Friday had tweeted the surname of the victim and later apologised for it.
"I don`t understand what has happened to our political class. They blacken the house of a woman. Then they say that people will not employ women in offices because of this case. Now again, this irresponsible behaviour," she added.
"It is his duty. Any person, who has been booked under certain offence, should definitely cooperate with the police. He is doing the right thing by cooperating," she said on Tarun Tejpal, who earlier today joined the probe against him with the police.
"The common man looks up to the media for the directions and the truth. Media tells us about what is wrong and what is right. And, if such important pillars do not report the malpractices against women in its offices, then it`s a matter of grave concern," she said on the growing cases of sexual harassment cases against women in workplaces.
"There should be a proper action against these practices, however, it is not a new matter. It is a woman who becomes a victim always. A woman is sexually harassed in workplace and then she is victimised. She is forced to drop the case or to resign from the job," she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read