NCW member accuses BJP leader Meenakshi Lekhi of irresponsible behaviour
New Delhi: National Women`s Commission (NCW) member Shamina Shafiq on Saturday criticised Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi, for revealing the surname of the victim of the sexual assault case involving former Tehelka editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal on Twitter .
"She is a responsible person, and if a person like her makes a mistake like this, than it is very unfortunate. It is a punishable offence under 228A, that you cannot reveal the identity of the victim. We will be taking action against this. We will ask for her explanation on this issue," she said on Meenakshi Lekhi, who on Friday had tweeted the surname of the victim and later apologised for it.
"I don`t understand what has happened to our political class. They blacken the house of a woman. Then they say that people will not employ women in offices because of this case. Now again, this irresponsible behaviour," she added.
"It is his duty. Any person, who has been booked under certain offence, should definitely cooperate with the police. He is doing the right thing by cooperating," she said on Tarun Tejpal, who earlier today joined the probe against him with the police.
"The common man looks up to the media for the directions and the truth. Media tells us about what is wrong and what is right. And, if such important pillars do not report the malpractices against women in its offices, then it`s a matter of grave concern," she said on the growing cases of sexual harassment cases against women in workplaces.
"There should be a proper action against these practices, however, it is not a new matter. It is a woman who becomes a victim always. A woman is sexually harassed in workplace and then she is victimised. She is forced to drop the case or to resign from the job," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Bhoot, pret, upari saya: MP minister clarifies on reasons behind farmers' suicide
- India Couture Week: Anita Dongre brings couture for 'bride on the go'
- Pakistan taking unpleasant interest in imposing upon India their vicious motives: Khurshid
- Soon, share all kinds of files on WhatsApp; get better authentication feature
- Plea seeks imposition of Governor's rule in J&K; SC to hear matter next week