NCW to approach Cong Prez, LS Speaker for 33 per cent seats
New Delhi: To stress the need for bringing a law to reserve 33 per cent seats in Parliament as well as the state Assemblies, the National Commission for Women (NCW) is planning to approach UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
Interacting with reporters here, the NCW chairperson Mamata Sharma said that she was planning to take delegations to both Gandhi and Kumar during this session of Parliament itself and submit memorandums to them seeking bringing of the women`s reservation Bill in Parliament.
"The NCW had submitted a memorandum earlier to former President Pratibha Patil on the issue for bringing a women`s reservation Bill. During this session, I plan to reach out to the Lok Sabha speaker and the UPA chairperson and submit memorandums," Sharma said here.
"There has been considerable empowerment of women by reserving seats for them at the Local bodies and Panchayat levels in the country. But we need to take this change right to the top," she added.
Speaking further, Sharma said that her focus was to work on all issues related to women and the problem of female foeticide was one of her priorities. She said that in four states - Punjab, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh the position of the chairperson of the State Women`s Commission was vacant, which was undesirable.
Sharma said that NCW at present carrying out review process for 13 laws related to women.
She listed Dowry Prohibition Act, The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act, 1956, Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986, amendments to Section 125 of CrPC regarding Maintenance, Amendments to the Laws relating to Rape and Related Provisions, etc as legislations which are under review.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state