NDA yet to clear its choice for Prez, V-P
New Delhi: As speculation about candidates for Presidential poll intensified after Election Commission announcing July 19 as the poll date, NDA convenor Sharad Yadav Wednesday said the Opposition alliance has not zeroed on names for the posts of President and Vice President so far.
"People meet each other. We have not decided for any name in any meeting of NDA. Only Jaswant Singh can tell whom did he meet and why did he meet. It is normal. We keep meeting," he said when asked whether NDA could propose Singh`s name for Vice President`s post.
Singh had yesterday met Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav triggering speculation within the BJP that its leader could be lobbying for the Vice President`s office.
Yadav, who is the chief of key NDA ally JD-U, also dismissed speculation that his party has indicated its preference amid reports in a section of media that JD-U`s first preference is Vice President Hamid Ansari.
"NDA has decided that when a proposal comes from the UPA particularly from Sonia Gandhi, we will sit and take stock of it. Let the name first come from UPA. Only then, we will decide," Yadav said.
He also parried a question on whether JD-U will support the candidature of Pranab Mukherjee, widely speculated to be the UPA`s choice for the President`s post.
"Has the name of Pranab Mukherjee come from them as yet? Has Sonia Gandhi made any such proposal? Why this kite flying. Let the proposal come first, we will think then," Yadav said.
He also parried a suggestion that Trinamool Congress could prefer former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee for the top constitutional office.
"It`s not that any one party will be able to decide it... I do not know what her party leader in Bengal said but Mamata Banerjee is meeting Sonia Gandhi here. Let the proposals come from them," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset