Need for dialogue to solve Kashmir issue: UN chief
United Nations: In the wake of tensions in Kashmir following the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, UN chief Ban Ki-moon is closely following the situation in the region and stresses on the need for dialogue to help to overcome difficulties, his spokesperson said here.
"The Secretary-General is obviously following developments quite closely. And we would simply reiterate the call for the need for dialogue to help to overcome the difficulties that there are," Ban`s spokesperson Martin Nesirky told reporters at the daily briefing yesterday.
Nesirky was responding to a question on developments in Kashmir, where curfew has been imposed and three persons have been killed and several injured in clashes between protesters and law enforcement agencies following the hanging of Guru.
Nesirky said he did not have any specific comment on the execution of Guru.
When asked that there is a "humanitarian aspect" to the hanging of Guru since his body has not been given to his family, Nesirky said, "I don’t have any comment on that."
Guru was hanged in New Delhi`s Tihar jail on February 9 after his mercy plea was rejected by the President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day