Need to keep ethical quotient high in country: Advani
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader LK Advani on Saturday said citizens and the government should ensure that there is no compromise on the need to keep the ethical quotient high in the wake of recent "painful" developments, including the gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in the capital.
In a message to the people on the occasion of Republic Day, Advani said other than improving the intelligence and emotional quotient of the people, an effort should be made to strengthen the spiritual quotient of the masses.
"Spiritual quotient has nothing to do with any religion or sect. It has to do with keeping the moral or ethical quotient high," Advani told reporters after hoisting the tricolour at his residence.
He underlined the significance of improving the spiritual quotient against the background of recent cases of crimes against women and corruption in public life.
"Today it is even more important to emphasise on this as the events of the recent past which have caused immense hurt, especially the gang-rape of a girl which was extremely shameful and one causing much grief," Advani said.
He urged that every citizen should take a pledge today that he or she will not make any compromise on ethics.
Advani has been vocal even within the BJP about improving ethical standards and ensuring that no immoral conduct by party members is allowed. He forced RSS and BJP to deny a second term to party president Nitin Gadkari as he was facing charges of financial irregularities.
"The President of India and other important people have all emphasised on the importance of ethics in their statements on Republic Day," Advani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!