Need to keep ethical quotient high in country: Advani
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader LK Advani on Saturday said citizens and the government should ensure that there is no compromise on the need to keep the ethical quotient high in the wake of recent "painful" developments, including the gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in the capital.
In a message to the people on the occasion of Republic Day, Advani said other than improving the intelligence and emotional quotient of the people, an effort should be made to strengthen the spiritual quotient of the masses.
"Spiritual quotient has nothing to do with any religion or sect. It has to do with keeping the moral or ethical quotient high," Advani told reporters after hoisting the tricolour at his residence.
He underlined the significance of improving the spiritual quotient against the background of recent cases of crimes against women and corruption in public life.
"Today it is even more important to emphasise on this as the events of the recent past which have caused immense hurt, especially the gang-rape of a girl which was extremely shameful and one causing much grief," Advani said.
He urged that every citizen should take a pledge today that he or she will not make any compromise on ethics.
Advani has been vocal even within the BJP about improving ethical standards and ensuring that no immoral conduct by party members is allowed. He forced RSS and BJP to deny a second term to party president Nitin Gadkari as he was facing charges of financial irregularities.
"The President of India and other important people have all emphasised on the importance of ethics in their statements on Republic Day," Advani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you