Need to love to know wife’s worth: Tharoor to Modi
New Delhi: Congress leader and Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor has hit back at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, after the latter had called the former’s wife a "50-crore-rupee girlfriend".
Tharoor Tuesday said his wife’s worth is a lot more than imaginary Rs 50 crore.
He posted a message on his Twitter account: “My wife is worth a lot more than your imaginary 50 crores. She is priceless. But you need2be able2love some1 2understand that (sic).”
Addressing a rally in poll-bound Himachal Pradesh, Modi had on Monday took potshots at Tharoor`s personal life, a day after he made a comeback in the Union Cabinet reshuffle.
"Wah kya girlfriend hai. Apne kabhi dekha hai 50 crore ka girlfriend?" (What a girlfriend? Have you ever seen a 50-crore girlfriend?), Modi said, in an apparent attack on Tharoor`s wife Sunanda Pushkar.
"There was a Congress leader who was a minister. He was accused of amassing wealth from cricket. He had said in Parliament that he is not connected to the Rs 50 crore in the lady`s name," the BJP leader had said in an apparent reference to Tharoor in the context of the IPL cricket controversy involving Pushkar in 2010 which led to his resignation as Minister of State for External Affairs minister.
Modi had, however, not taken any names.
"...And then girlfriend becomes wife, we learn some time later...the issues are still not settled and he (Tharoor) is now made a minister," the chief minister said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO