Nelson Mandela a symbol of indomitable spirit: Sonia
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Friday felicitated anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela on his 95th birthday saying he will always remain an inspiration for all those who believe in the values of human rights.
Terming it as a "truly a special occasion," Gandhi hailed the founding father of South Africa`s multi-racial democracy as a "courageous fighter" and a "symbol of indomitable spirit".
"Today when the world is confronted with a crisis of leadership with moral force, you stand out as a symbol of indomitable spirit. We pray and wish that the world continues to benefit from your wisdom and reassuring presence," she said.
Gandhi also recalled the "fond memories" of her own meetings with Mandela noting that she will "always cherish" them.
Mandela, who is revered for leading the fight against white minority rule in the African country and then preaching reconciliation despite being imprisoned for 27 years, turned 95.
He served as the country`s first black president from 1994 to 1999. He left power after five years as president.
In her message, Gandhi also noted "we all have been concerned about your health in recent times. Our people join the people of South Africa and the rest of the world in conveying our sincere wishes for your speedy recovery."
Mandela was admitted to a Pretoria hospital on June 8 for a recurring lung infection. Mandela has been hospitalised four times since December.
Wishing him good health, peace and happiness, Gandhi said, "Your life has been a message of struggle and sacrifice. Your humility, spirit of forgiveness and compassion has touched all those, who have the privilege of knowing you."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata