New law to eradicate manual scavenging: Govt
New Delhi: Admitting to shortcomings in existing laws to eradicate manual scavenging, government today said it would bring a new legislation with more stringent provisions for eliminating the scourge.
Social Justice Minister Mukul Wasnik said the government had no information on punishment meted out to individuals for encouraging manual scavenging.
"The government will soon bring a new law for eradication of the practice of manual scavenging and rehabilitating manual scavengers," Wasnik told the Lok Sabha during Question Hour amid opposition uproar over the issue of blackmoney.
He answered a couple of supplementaries in the din before Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the House after appealing to the protesting opposition members to put questions on an important issue like manual scavenging.
He said the ongoing socio-economic caste census in rural India is collecting data on manual scavengers.
He also said the Self-Employment Scheme for Rehabilitation of Manual Scavengers was launched in January 2007 to provide financial assistance to manual scavengers and their dependents for undertaking alternative occupations.
Under the scheme, Rs 173.50 crore has been released to the state channelising agencies, who have confirmed utilisation of Rs 147.61 crore, Wasnik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt