No grudge against Mamata, says Sangma
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-backed presidential candidate PA Sangma Wednesday said he holds no grudge against Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee for supporting Pranab Mukherjee in the race to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
"In politics everyone has their right to decide who they will back... I don`t have any grudge," Sangma told a news channel.
"She (Mamata Banerjee) has every right to decide for her party, I have nothing to say on it. I tried to reach out to her, I met her and requested her... that was my duty. She had given me a personal hearing, which gave me some hope," he said, adding that everyone had their own compulsions and made their own calculations so he held no grudges.
Every vote is important, he said, accepting that Banerjee`s endorsement of UPA`s Mukherjee was a "setback".
"Naturally every vote is important, it is a setback".
The West Bengal Chief Minister had Tuesday said her party would vote for Mukherjee in Thursday`s presidential poll. She called the decision "painful" and said she had been left with no other option.
The result will be announced July 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA