No intention of weakening federal structure: Soni
New Delhi: Maintaining that the decision to set up the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) was an administrative one, Information and Broadcasting Minister
Ambika Soni on Friday said the Centre had no intention of weakening the federal structure of the country.
"The Home Secretary has yesterday given his statement and it has been made clear that the proposal by the Home Minister does not require changes in the existing laws or something for which there is a need to approach Parliament," Soni said in reference to the proposed NCTC here.
"As far as my understanding, it is just an administrative decision and the Central Government does not want that the federal system should be interfered with or weakened," she told reporters.
Soni said that she felt that "even the Chief Ministers were well aware that the Manmohan Singh Government would never want to weaken it (Federal Structure)."
Asked if terror was being politicised, she said, "Every time there has been a discussion on terrorism in the country everyone has said that terror and politics have nothing in common. Today, again I think everyone should repeat that there should be no politicisation of terror".
On Samajwadi Party`s charge that the Election Commission was working under Congress pressure, Soni said it is known that SP says different things at different times.
"Samajwadi Party says something new every day. They say one thing in the morning and another thing in the evening. It is not possible for me to react on their statements morning and evening," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS