No issues with centre over Liyaqat Shah: Omar
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir`s policy to rehabilitate surrendered militants did not work in the case of Sayyed Liyaqat Ali Shah but the state was not at loggerheads with the central government on the issue, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said Saturday.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police had earlier said that Shah was returning home to the Kashmir Valley via Nepal from Pakistan last week to surrender under the rehabilitation policy but Delhi Police arrested him for planning a terrorist strike.
"In this instance the policy has not worked. But you have to put it into perspective," Omar told a news channel in an interview.
"Given the complete divergent point of view of Delhi Police and Jammu and Kashmir Police, we needed an objective organisation to look into the facts and tell us the truth behind the whole matter," he said.
Abdullah denied the state was at loggerheads with the centre on the issue.
"I don`t think so. It`s Delhi Police and Jammu and Kashmir Police that have given divergent views. The government of India has not taken a position on this. They have done the right thing by handing it over to the NIA. We are not on cross-purposes with the centre on this," he said.
The state government announced an ambitious rehabilitation policy in 2010 to encourage Kashmiri youth living in Pakistani Kashmir to return home and live a normal life after abjuring violence.
Under this policy, over 200 former militants have returned, most of them with their families. Most of the surrendered militants have Pakistani spouses who also chose to come to Kashmir along with their husbands and children.
The state government claims that these former militants have been given monetary incentives and provided security cover, but the "beneficiaries" deny this.
Abdullah also downplayed Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav`s Third Front suggestions and said the National Conference (NC) and the Congress would decide on their alliance for 2014.
"I`ve no idea on what Mulayam Singh Yadavji is predicting that but I will not go with that. We have to wait for the electoral results to see," said Omar.
"It`s for both the NC and the Congress to decide (on their alliance). The NC has authorised its president Farooq Abdullah to take a final view on this. It will require some discussion between him and the Congress high command," he said.
According to Abdullah, the central government`s decision not to return the body of parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, who was hanged and buried in Tihar jail in February was unfortunate.
"I think it`s unfortunate. Having hanged him and the way we did, having denied his family a final meeting...," said Omar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow